Monday, January 10, 2011

2011 Goals

I've taken a couple weeks to really think about what goals I would like to set for myself and my family this year. There is a fine line between being realistic and setting goals to help you progress and grow and maybe get out of your comfort zone. Some of my goals are very defined and some more vague, but all are things I want to be thinking about and striving for. So, here they are:
  • Read at least 12 books from my Book List
  • Run another 1/2 marathon and possibly a full. We will see where my mind and body are at after the 1/2
  • Make 7-8 hours of sleep each night a priority
  • Maintain my current weight
  • Twice a month dates with my husband. Most of our dates are at home and include the children. We need to invest more time in our marriage!
  • Go to the Temple once a month
  • Play/read with my children more
  • Look for opportunities to Give. Whether it be a donation of time, goods, or money.
  • Sew a Rag Quilt
  • Sew our Christmas Stockings (I have had the fabric for 4 years!)
  • Try at least 2 new recipes per month
  • File taxes by March 1, 2011
  • Fence the backyard
  • Grow a garden
  • Can something from my garden
  • Buy Denali a twin size mattress
  • Save for our 10th Anniversary Cruise next January/February (We made our first deposit this month!)
  • Save at least 3 months of living expenses into our Emergency Fund
  • Continue to simplify and Find Joy in my current season of life

    My Book List

    • The Book of Mormon
    • You Can Never get Enough of What You Don't Need by Mary Ellen Edmunds
    • Grace by Richard Paul Evans
    • The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
    • Believing Christ: The Parable of the Bicycle and Other Good News by Stephen E. Robinson
    • Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discover That Revolutionizes Home Baking by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois
    • Finding Your Purpose as a Mom: How to Build Your Home on Holy Ground by Donna Otto
    • The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
    • Dancing with My Father: How God Leads Us into a Life of Grace and Joy by Sally Clarkson
    • To The Rescue: The Biography of Thomas S. Monson
    • Organized Simplicity: The Clutter-Free Approach to Intentional Living by Tsh Oxenrieder
    • Going Rogue by Sarah Palin
    • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    • Sphere by Michael Crichton
    • Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah
    • Illusions by Richard Bach
    • The Ultimate Gift by Jim Stoval
    • The Help by Kathryn Stockett
    • The Anatomy of Peace by The Arbinger Institute Library
    • Water for the Elephants by Sarah Gruen
    • The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
    • Aspire by Kevin Hall
    • A Karen Kingsbury book

    • I have always loved to read, but most recently I spend most of my time reading frugal blogs. Which has been great and helped my family in many ways, but I need to expand my reading material. And holding a good book in your hands curled up in a blanket is so good for the soul! Some of these books I've had on my bookshelf for awhile and never opened, some are from an online book club list, and some are recommended by friends on Facebook. I hope to read much more than 12, but one book per month sounds reasonable to me for now.

      Can I count on you to hold me accountable?

6 comments :

Julie Erichsen said...

I just finished Dancing with My Father. You should move that higher up on your list. :) Julie-Poolie

Chanelle said...

LOVE IT! Good luck this year! May it be your best one yet :)

marci and josh said...

First off, the family picture in the header is so cute. You and Greg look awesome. Plus your kids are so cute. I just ran my first half in August, and plan a full marathon this year. You can so run a full if I can. Love the reading list, I just might borrow some of them. Reading is probably my favorite escape. I think we should all be trying for the same goals, they are all wonderful. Congrats on your soon to be 10 years, ours is in Feb this year. I'm so glad you updated, cuz it's been so long since I've seen anyone from the Dart side of the family.

Tracy the GREAT said...

Lisa and I signed up for Salt Lake Half April 16th. If you start training now you can make it!!! COME ON!

Unknown said...

Not to add to your list, but since I stole some from you ;)


Simpler living : a back to basics guide to cleaning, decorating, storing, decluttering, streamlining, organizing, and more / Jeff Davidson ; foreword by Mark Victor Hansen

What Einstein told his cook


I ended up reading the Hunger Games (all three) in about a month. They are quick reads, and I found myself wanting to know what happens next.

Britt said...

Hunger Games would probably only take you a week or two, I would agree! I have the trilogy if you want to borrow.
I loved The Help. You should come to book club. Some of these on your least are some that we have read before.
I hardly used to read at all until I joined a book club. I just started with one a month and it was perfect for me. I just read a little here and there and by the end of the month the book was finished and by the end of the year I was amazed. Now I read more because I love it, but my house is more messy. :)
You are so amazing Dawn. I haven't even made any goals for the year yet!